In 1932, the nation was shocked when the 14-month-old son of Charles Lindberg was kidnapped, held for ransom, and murdered. Two years later, Bruno Richard Hauptmann was arrested, convicted, and executed. This film dramatizes the investigation against Hauptmann, the trial, and the execution, painting a picture of a corrupt police force under pressure to finger a killer framing an innocent man by manufacturing evidence, paying-off and blackmailing witnesses, and covering up exculpatory evidence.
- Stephen ReaBruno Richard Hauptmann
- Isabella RosselliniAnna Hauptmann
- J.T. WalshCol. Norman Schwarzkopf
- Michael MoriartyGovernor Harold Hoffman
- Allen GarfieldLt. James Finn
- John HarkinsEdward Reilly
- Barry PrimusEllis Parker
- David PaymerDavid Wilentz
- Bert RemsenDr. John Condon
- Don HarveyLt. Gus Kramer
- Gerald S. O'LoughlinCommissioner ORyan
- Stefan GieraschAlbert Osborn Sr.